Cities Are Essential Resources
Current Tools, Actions, and Resources
Municipalities will use federal funds to facilitate a reopening of the national economy. Data is crucial to helping tell the story of how America’s cities, towns, and villages have been impacted by COVID-19. Below, find essential resources on the fiscal and social impact of coronavirus on communities. We need a united national partnership to get Americans back to a safe, healthy, prosperous life.
View the latest NLC resources and tools for the Cities Are Essential campaign.
Letter to the Editor and Op-Ed Guidelines
Your voice is critical! NLC has put together guidelines, messaging and resources to help you craft an Op-Ed or Letter to the Editor.
Cities Are Essential Op-Eds and LTEs – To Date (May 19)
- The Voice – Port Huron trims staff with voluntary furloughs, other measures
- Detroit Free Press – Expect city governments to shrink thanks to COVID-19
- Courier Journal – Louisville will be forced to make horrific cuts if Congress doesn’t provide money
- Syracuse – Ben Walsh pens letter to Pelosi, McConnell: Syracuse needs your help
- The Bangor Daily News – Congress helped private businesses. Now it’s time to help state and local governments.
- Washington State Wire – Washington cities need the other Washington to step up and partner to save lives and the economy
- Nevada Independent – Nevada Cities Need Federal Aid
- Star Tribune – Cities, towns must not be left out of emergency relief.
Local governments are doing what we do best – caring for our residents. Hear directly from local leaders and experts about our need for a federal partner and direct economic relief to fully respond to, recover from and reopen after COVID-19.
Get the tools and resources needed to ensure cities, towns and villages – urban or rural, of all sizes – are well equipped to navigate the COVID-19 pandemic.