Cities Are Essential Resources
Current Tools, Actions, and Resources
Municipalities will use federal funds to facilitate a reopening of the national economy. Data is crucial to helping tell the story of how America’s cities, towns, and villages have been impacted by COVID-19. Below, find essential resources on the fiscal and social impact of coronavirus on communities. We need a united national partnership to get Americans back to a safe, healthy, prosperous life.
View the latest NLC resources and tools for the Cities Are Essential campaign.
Letter to the Editor and Op-Ed Guidelines
Your voice is critical! NLC has put together guidelines, messaging and resources to help you craft an Op-Ed or Letter to the Editor.
Cities Are Essential Op-Eds and LTEs – To Date (August7)
- The Voice – Port Huron trims staff with voluntary furloughs, other measures
- Detroit Free Press – Expect city governments to shrink thanks to COVID-19
- Courier Journal – Louisville will be forced to make horrific cuts if Congress doesn’t provide money
- Syracuse – Ben Walsh pens letter to Pelosi, McConnell: Syracuse needs your help
- Caller Times – Texas mayors unite in call for more federal assistance to fund city services
- The Bangor Daily News – Congress helped private businesses. Now it’s time to help state and local governments.
- Washington State Wire – Washington cities need the other Washington to step up and partner to save lives and the economy
- Daily Journal – Voice of the People: Cities need federal help to meet COVID–19 challenge
- Nevada Independent – Nevada Cities Need Federal Aid
- Star Tribune – Cities, towns must not be left out of emergency relief.
- Washington Times- Cities, towns in desperate need
- CT Post – State must do better on sharing relief funds with town
- Richmond Times – Sean Polster column: Localities need direct federal relief now
- Omaha – Editorial: Douglas County has a crucial obligation to reimburse Omaha’s virus costs
- MLive – Michigan’s local governments battling coronavirus need direct federal assistance (opinion)
- The New York Times – Scott Walker’s ‘Reckless Agenda’ on Federal Aid
- Reflector – Cities, towns need help to drive recovery
- The Hill – Support for cities is essential to the national economic recovery
- Charlotte Observer – NC cities and towns are facing a money crisis. Will GOP leaders in Congress help?
- The Washington Examiner – The conservative case for aid to US cities
- Greensboro – Jay Donecke, Neville Hall and David Myers: For recovery tomorrow, cities need help today
- Seattle Times – The federal government must step up and support cities
- The Hill – How will American cities avoid economic catastrophe?
- Baton Rouge Advocate –
- WRAL Tech Wire –
- Centre Daily Times: State College mayor: Direct aid to local government must be part of any new emergency assistance package
- Denver Post: Perlmutter and Kulmann: Colorado needs robust federal coronavirus help that the U.S. Senate is refusing
- CNN: If state and local governments continue to struggle, so will America
- Salisbury Post: My turn, Karen Alexander: Cities need resources to lead
- Colorado Politics: Cities, counties need a lifeline in COVID’s wake
- The Hill: Congress must deliver aid and empower localities to continue assisting in COVID-19 response
- Star Tribune: Local governments around Minnesota need federal help in this continuing crisis
Local governments are doing what we do best – caring for our residents. Hear directly from local leaders and experts about our need for a federal partner and direct economic relief to fully respond to, recover from and reopen after COVID-19.
Get the tools and resources needed to ensure cities, towns and villages – urban or rural, of all sizes – are well equipped to navigate the COVID-19 pandemic.